Sunday, September 6, 2009

Semolina Flat Bread

These I make by method, rather than recipe. By which I mean I practiced a lot, and now I know generally what to do. They are easy and make less mess than many of the breads I have made recently.

Did i mention that I am working on perfecting my breadmaking skills? this is one of my number one hobbies. Thus all my doughy recipes. Homemade bread is easier to digest due to the kneading process, and when done right taste much better. (except sourdough, i just cant get sourdough as flavorful as the commercial stuff)

There is NOTHING like a warm piece of just out of the oven toasty chewy goodness.

these however are not oven breads. however this dough can be used for dinner rolls or a loaf. its pretty versatile. it also would make a great pizza crust.

ok and also, it really is better if you cook it in a little oil. i tried to keep it light but its just better that way.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup fine semolina
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin (optional or replaceable)
1 tsp sugar
Warm water (almost hot)

mix all the ingredients except water well. make a well in the center. gradually add enough hot water to make the dough come together into a soft ball. add more semolina if its too sticky. knead for about ten minutes or until soft, smooth, and elastic. cover let rise for 30 minutes. punch down.

separate into 2 inch balls. flatten to about 1/2 inch discs. heat a frying pan on med high heat. cook like tortillas, until bubbly and slightly browned on each side. sprinkle salt and a little cumin or chile powder on top. stack them on a plate so they keep each other warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment