Friday, October 23, 2009

salmon rice pt 2

by Andrea

So I was hungry today and I decided to make this for lunch just after Jacque posted it (see previous post: Cheesy Salmon Rice w/Artichokes)

But I had some different stuff. Here's what I used:

Jasmine rice instead of regular, vegetable boillion instead of chicken, Alaskan smoked salmon, and frozen peas instead of artichokes, tossed in during the final step so they didn't overcook. I also added a splash of milk to make it more creamy.



So not including the 20 minutes it takes for rice to cook, this took me like 5 or 10 minutes to cook, and was at least as easy (if not easier) than making a box of mac & cheese.

So I suppose if I were to rewrite this recipe for how I cooked it, it would look like this:

1 cup Jasmine rice, cooked with 2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp Butter
3-4 Tbsp milk
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup frozen peas

Cook rice in broth. Melt butter in pan. Add rice, milk, and cheese. Mix together. Break salmon into chunks (remove skin if desired). Add salmon along with peas to rice mixture. Cook until heated through. No need for salt, pepper only if desired.

Yummmm

Delicious, easy, and it would have been cheap if I hadn't used fancy local smoked salmon. But even with that it was cheap for how good, filling, and nutritious it was. It's also another example of a technique that can be applied with any number of ingredients. Different varieties of fish, either fresh, canned, or smoked, different vegetables, different rice (try long grain brown for an even healthier version), different cheeses, and it can be a side dish or a main dish. You could even use different meat entirelly. I would say its basically the same thing if you used chicken, mushrooms, and swiss cheese. Or cubed pork, brocolli, and monterey jack. Etc etc. I love versatility.

No comments:

Post a Comment